Our sailing season usually runs from after the Easter holidays through to the start of the October half term, and every Thursday and Saturday we run our Sailing Club as long as the weather allows. This is recreational sailing which is supervised by our staff and volunteers .
- Due to the current situation we are offering sessions to our existing members with RYA Stage 2 or above, but we hope to open up to more people in early June 2021. Please keep an eye on out Facebook page and our Return to Sailing Page for updates. We will aim to get back to running our usual programme as soon as is practical, and safe to do so. We will be following Government and RYA advice and we thank you for your patience.
- Anyone aged 8-19 can come along and sail with Horizons!
- Please contact the office to arrange your first visit.
- 01752 605800
Thursday: 4.30 pm – 7.00 pm Saturday: 9.00 am – 12.00 pm
You will need to fill in a Sailing Club Membership Form
(It would be helpful if you could bring this along already filled-in.)
You can print off this New Member Info leaflet before your first session.
- We make a nominal charge of £1 per session – but we’re happy if you want to give more!
- Newcomers often start off in a Hawk 20 with a qualified Skipper and up to 4 other cadets. They can learn the basics then be paired up with a more experienced cadet on a Pico – and eventually get to sail their own boat!
- Sailing is always subject to suitable conditions (wind, tide and temperature) and we carefully monitor a cadet’s skill level so that they always sailing within their capability – and our Safety Boats are there to keep a close watch on the session, and assist where needed.
- The most experienced cadets can take our larger Bahia and Vago boats for an exciting sail, learning new skills, using spinnakers and really challenging themselves.
During the school summer holidays we run weekly RYA Sailing courses, using our fleet of dinghies and keelboats. The courses cover the RYA dinghy sailing scheme, from absolute beginners all the way up to the more advanced techniques and Assistant Instructor awards.
These courses can extend the experience earned on the Thursday and Saturday sessionsRetue